Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Big Doubt

This is rather unusual story, as it is translated from Portuguese. The translation has some mistakes and strange spots, but I decided not to correct them leaving the special flavour of the translated text. It kind of send me to that faraway country where the stroy takes place. 
I wonder if there are more glasses stories in Portuguese. The original Portuguese version follows after the end of the English translation.

By Francisco

Translated from Portuguese by Francisco

My name is Emile, I am a lady 55 years of age, with my husband, who is agriculturist, as I manage a farm inherited from my father, and that turned into a major producer of vegetables. I have 2 daughters, 30 and 32 years, and believe that God was kind to me, because at this age I still look for men of reason, but I have something that is not well seen by many people, my high myopia.


To tell my story be back when I was 8 years old, when I came to the city, along with my father, my mother and brother of 1 year younger. My parents had no education, but had a good amount of money to produce income than on a farm inherited from my grandfather, well able to buy a nice house that my brother and I were educated.

My mother, although rude, was a beautiful and elegant woman, wore some glasses that had thick lenses with a circle in the center still does not diminish its beauty. I admired those glasses, and always wanted to be equal. (Do not know why)

When the time came to go to school, the teacher sent a note to my mother saying that my brother needed to have their eyes tested and therefore was not seeing the letters in the table. Days later my brother was wearing a pair of glasses, that only later I learned it was a little over RX -2, and different from my mother who was a little more than -10, at the time that this RX was myodisc. Still I wanted to be equal. He spent 1 year and I lived with my brother also wants a pair of glasses.

The following year I decided to lie to my mother who was not seeing the letters and distant, which made me wash it for an eye examination. At the time the first trip to the eye doctor was forwarding to buy drops to a trickle in the eye drops 3 times a day to dilate the pupil back the next day. When I woke the next day my vision was a little blurry, I found it good, but when I returned home, because by all normal. The doctor said I needed glasses, but that was not necessary to use all the time, RX - 0.25, more astigmatism of 0.25. I was very sad because my glasses seemed not to change anything.

The following year we went to review, my brother too. This time I remembered that when the drops of eye drops pinguis my vision was blurry, then, without my mother understood the repeat drops almost every hour. The next day I realized that everything was very blurry, and that the more time passed, and it was strange not going back to normal, as it again. The numbers on paper do not mean much, I did not know what it was, much less my mother, who even used to the glasses did not know that it, just buy the glasses that the doctor sent. The glasses were ready in 5 days, while not my vision returned to normal, which was solved using the glasses of my old brother, who had the new with -2.75.

When my glasses were ready was a big surprise that I had chosen the flames in plastic large and thick, as used at the time, anyway, the lenses were thick. They were beautiful, and the numbers I knew what it was - 4.00. It was everything I dreamed.

The following year, returned for a new examination of eye, this time the drops could already be dripping on the same day at the office. At that time the doctor said to my mother who had changed the brand of eye drops, because there were some comments about this product. That could cause problems with vision, if not proved in any patient who used, but even so it no longer use, even if their colleagues continued use, she thought the drops would have been the cause of the large increase in my prescription . At the end of the test my RX was -4.25. The 3 years I was only to - 4.50.

I was aged 15 years and my glasses did not look nothing like those of my mother. It was decided to ask my mother to go to another doctor. On reaching the room I realized the desk on the table a bottle of eye drops with the same yellow label I used the first time. The secretary drops 3 times and went to the doctor's room for the examination, which indicated the end of an RX -4.75. When leaving the room I saw that the desk was receiving instructions from the doctor, and I noticed the bottle of eye drops on your desk, and without it she understood, I caught and kept in my purse.

During 6 months I pinguis the drops every day until eventually the bottle. I realized that my vision was all blurred, school had to sit in the front. It was when I said to my hand that was going to a new examination of the eye. At the end of the test had a big surprise, was written on paper with -7.00 astigmatism of 0.75. I could not believe what was seeing, my RX was 5D of my mother, I could barely wait to see my new glasses. When I put the everything was clear as ever. When leaving the office was the optical shop to order my glasses, on the way into a pharmacy and bought a bottle of eye drops to do the same. At the age of 22 years had high my RX -18.00, this time the lenses were thinner and the frames with more modern designs, I varied new frames every six months. What I regretted was that I did not have the glasses with the circle of my role as mother. Even so I decided to push for my myopia, it was the time I married, and also because some people said my glasses were as thick. For further examination of the eye not used the drops and returned with an increase of 0.50, was when my husband told me he expected a greater increase, and I confessed that I really loved but who also loved by my glasses. I use the eye drops (he never knew about the eye drops) and the age of 30 years was with the RX -29.50, with myodisc have always dreamed. That time I stopped pushing my short-sightedness.

The second part of my story is more interesting. As already mentioned, I have two daughters, Jane A, aged 30 years and Luci with 32. At the age of 12 years Luci had complained of difficulty seeing things away. Days later we went for an eye exam and was with Jane. At the end of the examination Luci was -1.50 and 0.50 for Jane, who was happy because it was used glasses, which did not happen with Luci, who even prefer to use contacts and glasses.

Jane loved to use spectacles, but nothing more than your RX -1.00 until the age of 15, while Luci was -3.50 at this time. Nikki, the daughter of my brother, had myopia of almost 10.00 at that time, Jane botava the glasses of Nikki when she visited with the new glasses, Jane always said I like the flames and I try.

One day I heard Jane tell Nikki that I would have a RX should be, where I realized that Jane was a myopic obsessive like me. Resolvi meet their desire, not that she knew that it was coincidence or not, that the drops increased my myopia, why not try one more time. During the summer when Jane returned to the club with eyes irritated because the water of the pool was when I had the idea to replace the eye drops he used the eye drops for irritation of pupil dilator. Just over 5 months Jane has complained about that and did not see things far away, and had scheduled an examination for eye. Jane returned with the examination paper in hand, saying, with a slight smile, which would have stronger glasses. When I asked his new RX, she responded with the same smile -4.50. I questioned - is that you have inherited my progressive myopia? She replied with a smile more open, - Really?

In the following years I continued changing the bottles of liquid, and the age of 25 years Jane was exactly with the RX -29.50. Currently we combined the optical shop, choose our myodiscs different models, and from time to time. We have a large collection of over 30, does not actually identify what the most and what are my her.

I have 5 grandchildren, to have a couple Jane and Luci 2 girls and one boy. Of the 5 only has a myopia, is the age of 12 years and loves his sunglasses with RX -9.50. Which is the only daughter Luci, whose myopia did not reach 5 D

Well, that's the big question! Will Jane and I inherited the myopia of my mother, and that only increased after the age of 15, or eye drops to dilate the pupil was really problem!


UMA GRANDE DÚVIDA

By Francisco
Meu nome é Emile, sou uma senhora de 55 anos de idade, junto com meu esposo, que é agrônomo, como eu, administramos uma fazenda herdada do meu pai e, que transformamos em uma grande produtora de hortaliças. Tenho 2 filhas de 30 e 32 anos, e acredito que Deus foi bondoso comigo, pois nessa idade ainda sou motivo de olhares dos homens, mas, tenho algo que não é bem visto por muitas pessoas, minha elevada miopia.
Para contar minha história é necessário retroceder quando eu tinha 8 anos de idade, época que cheguei à cidade, junto com meu pai, minha mãe e meu irmão de 1 ano mais jovem. Meus pais não tinham nenhuma instrução, mas possuíam boa quantidade de dinheiro de rendimento do que produzia em uma fazenda herdada do meu avô, assim conseguiu compra uma boa casa para que meu irmão e eu fossemos educados.
A minha mãe, mesmo sendo rude, era uma mulher elegante e bonita, usava uns óculos que tinha lentes grossas com um circulo na parte central, mesmo assim, não diminuía sua beleza. Eu admirava aqueles óculos, e sempre quis ter igual. ( não sei porque)
Quando chegou a época de irmos para escola, a professora mandou uma nota para minha mãe dizendo que meu irmão necessitava de ter os olhos testados pois não estava vendo bem as letras no quadro. Dias depois meu irmão estava usando um par de óculos, que só mais tarde fiquei sabendo que era um RX  pouco mais de -2, bem diferente do da minha mãe que era um pouco mais de -10, que na época esse RX já era myodisc. Mesmo assim eu desejei ter igual. Passou 1 ano e eu convivi com meu irmão desejando ter também um par de óculos.
No ano seguinte resolvi mentir para minha mãe que não estava vendo bem as letras distantes, o que fez ela me lavar para o exame de olho. Na época a primeira ida ao medico do olho era para encaminhar para compra de um colírio para pingar gotas no olho 3 vezes ao dia para dilatar a pupila voltando no dia seguinte. Quando acordei no dia seguinte a minha visão estava um pouco borrada, eu achei aquilo bom, mas, quando voltei para casa, já via tudo normal. O médico disse que eu precisava de óculos, mas que não era necessário usar o tempo todo, RX - 0,25, mais astigmatismo de 0,25. Fiquei muito triste porque meus óculos parecia não modificar quase nada.
No ano seguinte fomos para novo exame, meu irmão também. Dessa vez eu lembrei que quando pinguei as gotas do colírio minha visão ficou borrada, então, sem que minha mãe percebesse repeti o colírio praticamente a cada hora. No dia seguinte eu percebi que tudo era muito borrada, bem mais que da vez passada, e o que foi estranho não volto ao normal, como dá outra vez. Os números no papel não significavam muita coisa, eu não sabia do que se tratava e muito menos a minha mãe, que mesmo acostumada com óculos não sabia do que se tratava, apena comprava os óculos que o médico mandava. Os óculos ficaram prontos em 5 dias, enquanto isso a minha visão não voltou ao normal, o que foi resolvido usando os óculos antigos do meu irmão, que já tinha os novos com -2,75.
Quando meus óculos ficaram prontos foi que tive a grande surpresa, havia escolhido os flames em plástico de tamanho grande e grosso, como se usava na época, mesmo assim, as lentes eram mais grossas. Eram lindos, e os números eu já sabia do que se tratava  - 4.00.  Foi  tudo que sonhei.
No ano seguinte, voltamos para um novo exame de olho, dessa vez o colírio já podia ser pingado no mesmo dia no próprio consultório. Nessa ocasião o médico disse para minha mãe que havia trocado a marca do colírio, pois houve alguns comentários sobre esse produto. Que poderia causar problemas com a visão, caso não comprovado em nenhum paciente que utilizou, mas, que mesmo assim ela não mais usaria, mesmo que os seus colegas continuassem usar, ela achava que o colírio teria sido a causa do grande aumento na minha prescrição. Ao término do exame o meu RX foi -4,25. Os 3 anos seguintes eu fui apenas para  – 4,50.
Eu já estava com 15 anos e meus óculos não parecia nada com os da minha mãe. Foi que decidi pedir a minha mãe para ir para outro médico. Ao chegar à sala da secretária eu percebi em cima da mesa um frasco de colírio com o mesmo rótulo amarelo que usei da primeira vez. A secretaria pingou 3 vezes e entrei para sala do médico para o exame, que no final indicou um RX de -4,75. Quando sai da sala vi que a secretária ficou recebendo instruções do médico, e eu percebi o frasco de colírio sobre sua mesa, e sem que ela percebesse, eu peguei e guardei na minha bolsa.
Durante 6 meses eu pinguei o colírio todos os dias até que acabou o frasco. Percebi que minha visão era tudo borrado, na escola já tinha que sentar na frente. Foi quando disse para minha mão que ia para um novo exame do olho. Ao final do exame tive uma grande surpresa, estava escrito no papel -7,00 com astigmatismo de 0,75. Eu não podia acreditar no que estava vendo, meu RX estava a 5D da minha mãe, eu mal podia esperar para ver meus novos óculos. Quando eu os coloquei tudo ficou nítido como nunca. Ao sair do consultório fui a loja ótica para encomendar meus óculos, no caminho entrei em uma farmácia e comprei um frasco do colírio para proceder da mesma forma. Na idade de 22 anos havia elevado meu RX -18,00, nesse tempo as lentes já eram mais finas e os flames com desenhos mais modernos, eu variava novos flames a cada seis meses. O que lamentava era que eu não tive os óculos com o circulo central como da minha mãe. Mesmo assim eu decidi para de empurrar minha miopia, foi o tempo que me casei, e também, porque algumas pessoas comentavam como meus óculos eram grossos. Para o novo exame do olho não usei o colírio e voltei com um aumento de 0,50, foi quando meu esposo me disse que esperava um aumento maior, e me confessou que realmente me amava mas, que amava também pelos meus óculos. Voltei a usar o colírio (ele nunca soube sobre o colírio) e na idade de 30 anos estava com RX de -29,50 , com o myodisc que sempre sonhei. Nesse tempo parei de empurrar a minha miopia.
A segunda parte da minha história é mais interessante. Como já citei, tenho duas filhas, A Jane, com idade de 30 anos  e Luci com 32. Na idade de 12 anos Luci se queixou que tinha dificuldade de ver as coisas distantes. Dias depois fomos para o exame de olho e Jane foi junto. No final do exame Luci teve -1,50 e 0,50 para Jane, que ficou feliz porque ia usar óculos, o que não aconteceu com Luci, que mesmo tendo óculos preferia usar contatos.
Jane amava usar óculos, mas seu RX não passou de -1,00 até a idade de 15 anos, enquanto Luci teve nesse tempo em -3,50. Nikki, filha do meu irmão, teve miopia de quase 10,00 nesse tempo, Jane botava os óculos de Nikki sempre que ela nos visitava com óculos novos, Jane sempre dizia que gostava dos flames e queria experimentar.
Um dia ouvi Jane dizer a Nikki que gostaria de ter um RX igual a deva, foi ai que percebi que Jane era um míope obsessivo como eu. Resolvi atender o seu desejo, sem que ela soubesse, se foi coincidência, ou não, que o colírio elevou a minha miopia, porque não tentar mais uma vez. Durante o verão a Jane sempre voltava do clube com os olhos irritados por causa da água da piscina, foi quando tive a idéia de trocar o colírio que usava para a irritação pelo colírio dilatador de pupila. Pouco mais de 5 meses Jane se queixou que não via bem as coisas distantes, e que havia marcado um exame de olho. Jane voltou do exame com o papel na mão, dizendo, com um leve sorriso, que teria óculos mais fortes. Quando eu perguntei seu novo RX, ela respondeu com o mesmo sorriso -4,50. Eu questionei  – será que você herdou a minha progressiva miopia? Ela respondeu com um sorriso mais aberto, - Será?
Nos anos seguintes continuei trocando o liquido dos frascos, e na idade de 25 anos Jane estava exatamente com RX de -29,50. Atualmente vamos juntas a loja ótica, escolhemos nossos myodiscs de modelos diferentes, e de vez em quando. Temos uma grande coleção de mais de 30, na verdade não identificamos mais quais os meus e quais os dela.
Tenho 5 netos, a Jane tem um casal e a Luci 2 meninas e um menino. Das 5 apenas uma tem miopia, está na idade de 12 anos e ama seus óculos com RX -9,50. Só que é filha da Luci, cuja miopia não alcançou 5 D
Bem, essa é a grande dúvida! Será que eu e a Jane herdamos a miopia da minha mãe, e que só progrediu após a idade de 15 anos, ou o colírio para dilatar pupila teve realmente problema!

No comments:

Post a Comment